Pandaw.com - Pandaw River Cruise Stop - Kawthaung
Pandaw River Cruises
  Sign up

Luxury small ship river cruises in Asia

GO

KAWTHAUNG

Kawthaung is in the southernmost part of Myanmar, located in Tanintharyi Region. During British rule in Burma between 1824 and 1948, it was known as Victoria Point.

Rakhine and Tanintharyi were transferred to British rule after the first Anglo-Burmese War of 1823-1826.

In 1859, a local group of Chinese and Thais settled at Maliwan (Thai Language) to the north of Kawthaung, a place with numerous lakes and flowering trees. In 1865, an Arab-Malay group led by Nayuda Ahmed, traveling and collecting sea products around Mergui Archipelago started a base and village at the bay of Victoria Point.

In 1872 the third mayor of Mergui District, Sir Ashly Din (1870–1875) assigned the first police officer to be stationed at Maliwan, a village 24 miles north of current Victoria Point. In 1891, the local government offices were moved from Maliwan to Kawthaung because Maliwan is located on the bank of a small shallow river, Maliwan Creek, unsuitable for large ships to enter and waiting tide water.

Cruises which visit Kawthaung